How Can You Detect Faulty Electrical Wiring In A Rental Property?

0

Here are 4 tips on how to detect faulty electrical wiring as every year, electrical fires cause costly damages in rental properties across the United States, from Keepe the rental property maintenance company for property managers.

Fire damage cam be one of the most expensive fixes that property managers have to face.

 4 Warning Signs of Faulty Electrical Wiring

As a property manager, keep an eye out for poorly installed, outdated and damaged electrical wiring. Often, the warning signs of faulty wiring are relatively easy to detect – as long as you stay proactive and alert in spotting these issues.

1. Frequent circuit-breaker trips could mean faulty electrical wiring

A circuit breaker is designed to trip whenever a power overload occurs in the system.

However, if this happens too often (frequent circuit-breaker trips in a span of a few days or weeks), it is a clear sign that there is a deeper underlying problem in the building’s electrical wiring system. Make sure to have it checked out.

2. Constant dimming, buzzing or flickering of lights

If lights in the building constantly buzz when turned on.

Or worse, they flicker or dim when multiple appliances are in use at the same time. It is an indication that there is a problem with the building’s electrical wiring, which would potentially require an urgent professional upgrade.

3. Chewed or frayed wiring

Damaged wiring – left behind by inexperienced handymen, pets, and rodents – can cause an electrical fire in a rental property.

It is essential for property managers to look out for chewed or frayed wiring. If you spot these types of wiring, contact an electrical contractor immediately.

How Can You Detect Faulty Electrical Wiring In A Rental Property?

4. Discolored, scorched or smoked outlet points

When a rental property’s wiring system is damaged, it often causes discoloration and scorch marks on the outlet points. This is a tell-tale sign that the wiring system is damaged. If left unchecked, it has the potential to cause a fire or shock.

As a property manager, do routine walkthroughs and inspections to detect possible problems that could cause an electrical fire before it occurs.

Remember not to tinker with the electrical system in a building, especially if you see or hear any of the above warning signs.

Other Keepe suggestions:

4 Reasons HVAC Should Be Top Of Your Maintenance List

Leaking Sinks No. 1 Most Popular Maintenance Fix in November

4 Ways You Can Spot Water Damage Early In Your Rentals

About Keepe:

Keepe is an on-demand maintenance solution for property managers and independent landlords. The company makes a network of hundreds of independent contractors and handymen available for maintenance projects at rental properties. Keepe is available in the Greater Seattle area, Greater Phoenix area, San Francisco Bay area, Portland, San Diego and is coming soon to an area near you. Learn more about Keepe at https://www.keepe.com

Sign Up For Our Newsletter And Get Apartment News And Helpful, Useful Content Each Week.

* indicates required


Share.

About Author

By The Editors

Comments are closed.