Home Legal Department

Legal Department

The Legal Department area helps landlords and property managers keep up with the ever-changing government regulation at the local, state and national level.

Landlords should ask the right questions of their attorney and their tenants during the federal eviction moratorium

7 Insights for Landlords on the Federal Eviction Moratorium

Two attorneys last year joined the National Real Estate Investors Association for an online discussion to help landlords and property managers understand how best to deal with the federal eviction moratorium. The nationwide federal eviction...
Seattle Landlords And Rental Housing: A Case Study in Crisis Creation and the Seattle City Council housing regulations

Seattle Landlords And Housing: A Case Study in Crisis Creation

Seattle landlords, especially smaller mom-and-pop landlords with rental property, have been put in a difficult position by the Seattle City Council’s housing regulations. Attorney Ethan Blevins goes in depth on what has happened and...
How Do Oregon’s New Drug Laws Affect Landlords?

A Strange New World: How Do Oregon’s New Drug Laws Affect Landlords?

Many landlords have questions about new drug laws that go into effect in 2021 so here are some of the issues around Oregon's new drug laws from attorney Bradley Kraus. By Bradley S. Kraus, Attorney at...
Oregon Landlords File Federal Lawsuit Against State, City and County

Oregon Landlords File Federal Lawsuit Against State, City and County

Several Oregon landlords have filed suit in federal court in Oregon alleging the legislature, even after passing the most recent bill, has failed to responsibly address the housing crisis. The lawsuit was filed in the...
Oregon Passes $150 Million Landlord Compensation Fund

Oregon Passes $150 Million Landlord Compensation Fund

The Oregon State Legislature special session passed a $150 landlord compensation fund that provides up to 80 percent of rent due for landlords, but requires them to forgive the remaining 20 percent. The legislature also...
Smaller rental property owners facing hardship need government help

Smaller Rental Property Owners Are Suffering, Government Needs to Act

Smaller rental property owners are suffering and many are facing 20 percent to 30 percent delinquency rates from their tenants. By Charles Tassell COO National REIA The National Real Estate Investors Association says individual property owners, most...

Tenant Screening Company to Pay $4.2 Million Settlement Over Inaccurate Background Reports

A tenant screening company has agreed to pay a $4.2 million settlement over the accuracy of tenant screening reports given to property management companies, according to a release from the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). The...
Washington Courts Launch Eviction Resolution Program

Washington Courts Launch Eviction Resolution Program

King County Superior Court has established an Eviction Resolution Program (ERP) that will require problem-solving steps in situations involving non-payment of rent so that there will be no need to file an eviction case,...
Transitioning from Landlord to Seller: Using a Qualifying Landlord Exemption for a Sale

Transitioning from Landlord to Seller: Using a Qualifying Landlord Exemption for a Sale

Many landlords are looking to sell so here are some of the issues around transitioning from landlord to seller from attorney Bradley Kraus. By Bradley S. Kraus Attorney at Law, Warren Allen, LLP As we approach the...
Oregon Supreme Court Will Review Portland Relocation Ordinance

Oregon Supreme Court Will Review Portland Relocation Ordinance

The Oregon Supreme Court has granted review of the Owen decision, which relates to landlords’ appeal to invalidate the Portland Relocation Ordinance, according to attorney John DiLorenzo. Portland landlords had appealed to the Oregon Supreme...