Ask The Attorney: Handling a Notice of Deficient Conditions In Utah

Jeremy Shorts, Esq.
Utah Eviction Law


I just received a notice of deficient conditions from my resident, what do I do now?


Begin by reviewing the notice of deficient conditions carefully.

It should state a few critical pieces of information, including a description of the problem and the deadline to work on correcting the problem. You need to decide whether to:

  1. Fix the problem or
  2. Terminate the lease If you decide to terminate the lease, you must:
  3. Give them a written notice prior to the corrective period deadline, and
  4. Refund pro-rated rent and the deposit.

The tenant then has to leave after 10 days. If you decide to correct the problem, you have to take substantial action toward correcting the problem within the corrective time period listed in the notice. This does not mean that you have to correct the problem by the deadline, but you must take substantial action toward correcting the problem by the deadline.

As with most problems, communication is key. We recommend that you report to the resident at the end of the corrective period, in writing, that outlines:

  1. What you have accomplished within the corrective period
  2. What still needs to be done, and
  3. The plan to continue to work on what needs to be done.
Handling a Notice of Deficient Conditions In Utah
Jeremy Shorts

About the author:
Jeremy Shorts is a licensed Utah attorney. Mr. Shorts has always enjoyed representing and assisting landlords. These services provide clients/landlords with peace of mind and additional legal protections. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us to schedule a landlord consultation to discuss your case. Utah Eviction Law Phone: 801-610-9879 Fax: 801-494-2058 Email:

Utah Apartment Association Officially Becomes Rental Housing Association of Utah

Salt Lake City Rents Increase Sharply Over The Past Month