Atlanta is the most sought-after city for renters, according to a new April renter-activity report from RentCafe.
The report says “renting is now the new buying,” due to high home prices. Also, the spring season brings out more renters looking for apartments.
RentCafe analyzed millions of interactions “on our own apartment search website, RentCafe.com, to find the most active locations for renting in the nation. Our brand-new monthly rental activity report will keep you updated on the latest movements and shifts in renting demand across the 150 largest cities” in the United States.
The RentCafe ranking was based on:
- availability of apartments
- listing views
- apartments saved as favorites
- saved personalized searches
Which cities are most popular with renters?
- Atlanta is the most popular, with the highest search activity this month. Apartment hunters in Atlanta added twice as many listings to their favorites lists compared to this time last year.
- Apartment listings in Kansas City, Mo., and Albuquerque, N.M., were in second and third place respectively, according to the listing’s activity data. They climbed +18 positions and +27, respectively, compared to last month, thanks to the highest page views on properties.
- Detroit landed in fourth place with the highest climb in rankings from March, rising by 84 spots. Minneapolis (11th place), Milwaukee (24th place) and Indianapolis (30th place) are the other newcomers in the Top 30 most-searched renting cities this month.
- Manhattan completed the top five, maintaining its position on the top compared to the first month of spring. The big comeback as a top favorite for renters is driven by a quick rise in the number of apartments saved to favorites on Rentcafe.com: eight times more than one year ago.
- Big cities like Philly, Boston and Chicago are seeing a surge in rental activity, with more favorites, saved searches and high demand resulting in fewer listings and decreased availability. Northeastern cities are popular with renters, claiming five spots on the top 30 list.