Here are the top 10 cities to watch for rentals in 2024 in a RentCafe.com report showing which cities attracted the highest number of online engagements on RentCafe.com in 2023, according to a new report.
“As we enter 2024, here’s a special wrap-up edition where we totaled the same metrics for the entire 12-month period to determine which cities were the year’s stars for renters,” the report says.
Here are the top 10 cities to watch
- Atlanta is #1 as renters showed high interest for apartments in the city throughout 2023. Renters added 60% more listings to their favorites list than the year prior, while the rate of saved searches for Atlanta rentals was highest compared to all 150 U.S. cities analyzed. Throughout the year, Atlanta ranked among the top 10 most sought-after cities by renters on eight occasions and reached the podium twice.
- Kansas City, MO was #2 with 63% more listings traffic and renters adding three times as many favorites to their list, cementing interest in one of the Midwest’s most vibrant yet affordable cities. Kansas City started the year above Atlanta in our monthly ranking and scored a place among the top 3 cities six times.
- Cincinnati rounded out the top 3 after a 19% rise in traffic and with renters favoriting twice as many properties, the most important step toward leasing. The city was one of renters’ top 3 hotspots just once this year, but it managed a strong end of the year.
- Arlington, VA, landed at #4 after dominating renters’ preferences during peak rental season in 2023 when it came in at #1 in our rankings for three months straight. Renters viewed 52% more listings in the city in 2023 versus the year before.
- Orlando, FL, was #5 with its sunny appeal drawing in 18% more traffic and apartment hunters favoriting twice as many rentals, cementing its status as a popular city for renters.
- Minneapolis was #6 in 2023. Plus, in our November rental activity report, Minnesota’s most populous city came in at #1 for the first time after Minneapolis listings attracted the highest number of engagements that month.
- Denver was #7. Its success came after renters intensively searched for Denver listings on RentCafe.com throughout the year. Clearly, the city’s tech/energy/finance economy, sunny climate and array of outdoor activities were a magnet for apartment hunters.
- Portland was #8. Portland may have its quirkiness, but it also has renter appeal, which helped the city rank eighth in the top 30 for 2023. One of the most appreciated aspects about living in Portland is its relaxed pace combined with its food and beverage culture. In the same way, its balanced combination of entertainment and diverse job opportunities helped the city claim a spot in the top 30 throughout last year.
- Albuquerque was #9. Albuquerque was another Western location on our list of the most in-demand cities for renters in 2023, ending at #9. In fact, it ranked just as high or even higher in our reports during the high season for renting.
- Overland Park was #10. This Kansas City suburb on the Kansas side landed at #10 in the ranking for 2023. This came as no surprise, given Overland Park’s favorable path among the most sought-after cities for renters throughout the year: In June and October, this suburban destination occupied the second position in our top 30, it’s best scores so far.
Top 10 cities to watch by region